Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Smith: “We really turned things around”

Brit reflects on a tricky weekend overcome at the Red Bull Ring

 
Bradley Smith (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) is having a tough season in 2016 ahead of his move to the factory KTM team, but the Brit turned around a tough Friday into a top ten in the race in Austria and beat teammate Pol Espargaro over the line as the Tech 3 duo completed the top ten. Despite disappointment at missing out on crossing the line as top independent rider to compatriot Scott Redding (Octo Pramac Yakhnich), Smith is nevertheless happy with the weekend.
Bradley Smith (P9): "Overall, I have to be happy with the result and we really turned things around today. Having said that, I am also a little bit disappointed because the top satellite position was the aim, especially after the pace that we had in warm-up and I knew that we had a good chance. I was lucky at the beginning of the GP with all the jumps starts around me but I lost a large amount of time on the opening lap and then there were quite a few mistakes by other riders, which cost me. I was pleased that I managed to cut the gap to Laverty and Redding and I believe that I was really strong in the middle part of the Grand Prix. The only issue was that I put a lot of stress on my tyres to close that deficit to those riders. As we weren’t too sure about the fuel consumption, we had to play it safe and slightly dial down some of the power, which meant that I wasn’t able to get close enough to Redding to make a full attack. However, we already knew it would be a challenging weekend, but from where we were on Friday to where we are now, it’s clear to see that we’ve made a big step and I have to say that I’m very proud."

No comments:

Post a Comment